Monday, January 15, 2007

Still Singing, Still Buzzing

The Bird and the Bee,
The Bird and the Bee,
Metro Blue/Blue Note

As a general rule, I review every record that comes my way as soon as I can. This can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. I received the Bird and the Bee's debut in October and posted a review a day or two afterwards. Over three months have passed since then, yet the
CD isn't released until 1/23/07. To read the original post,
please click here. And here's what I wrote for Seattle Sound:

Aptly named LA duo the Bird and the Bee consists of Inara George and Greg Kurstin. An actress-turned-singer, Inara claims Little Feat's Lowell George as father. Kurstin established his rep as a keyboard player with credits ranging from Beck to the similarly hook-laden Lily Allen. Now erase these facts from your mind as they have little bearing on B&B's irresistible 1960s-style dance-pop. With her delicate phrasing, Inara sounds nothing like her drawling dad, while the inventive Kurstin plays nothing like a generic session dude. Except for the horns on "I'm a Broken Heart" and Inara's fuzz bass on "Again & Again," he handles every instrument. All told: 10 tracks of slinky, sexy, airy effervescence. Imagine a Brazilian Stereolab or Suzanne Vega as Gainsbourg muse. The Bird + the Bee = pure aural enchantment.



Endnote: Image from the Bird and the Bee MySpace Page. The band has swung through town once since I first wrote about them, but I didn't get the chance to check them out. Since Kurstin is involved with both acts, I'd love to see B&B tour with Lily Allen.

2 comments:

PäulineKäh said...

HI,
Im a french girl and its really interresting to read an english blog such as yours.
I will come back !
BYe,

Pauline

Kathy Fennessy said...

Thanks for writing, Pauline!