Saturday, May 09, 2009

May
Reviews

These are
the reviews
and other
pieces I'm
working on
this month.

Amazon
DVDs: A Village Affair (with Sophie Ward, Kerry Fox, and Claire Bloom), The Dana Carvey Show [two-disc set] (with Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, and Robert Smigel), and Friday Night Lights - The Third Season [four-disc set]. I've already seen every episode, but watched 'em all over again. Yep, it's that good.

Amazon Theatricals: Food, Inc. (with Eric Schlosser
and Michael Pollan) and Summer Hours (Olivier Assayas
directs Charles Berling, Juliette Binoche, and Jérémie Renier).

Still playing: Confessions of a Shopaholic, He's Just Not That into
You
, Lemon Tree, Sin Nombre, State of Play, and Sunshine Cleaning.

Ice Network: Coverage of the Pop Star on Ice world premiere,
including quotes from directors David Barba and James Pellerito.

Siffblog: SIFF-related coverage begins, starting with a few of
my film persona photos
and a look at actors who wear eyeliner.

And now that I've wrapped up my interview with Tia Lessin,
I've been posting excerpts from my chat with Barry Jenkins.

Still playing: Gran Torino.

Video Librarian: Boxers, The Bracelet of Bordeaux,
Crips and Bloods - Made in America, Philippe Garrel -
I Can No Longer Hear the Guitar/Emergency Kisses
,
Gooby, Home, H2 Worker, Jesus Politics, Llik Your
Idols, Made in China, Road to the Big Leagues,
Stranded - I've Come from a Plane that
Crashed
on the Mountains,* Tribute to
Heath Ledger - The Unauthorized Story,
and You - Inner and Outer Beauty.

* Retitled Stranded - The Andes Plane Crash Survivors for the DVD release.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Endnote: Stranded - The Andes Plane Crash Survivors
premieres on Seattle's KCTS 9 on Tues., 5/19, at 10pm as part
of Independent Lens (repeating on Sun., 5/24, at 2am). Don't
miss it. Barry Jenkins image from my personal collection.

No comments: