Thursday, September 21, 2006

When the Shillelagh Meets the Hood: Part Five

Part Five: Not So Magically Delicious

This site's tagline is "Where the shillelagh meets the hood." It comes from something my friend Jeff said when I mentioned, a few years ago, that Ireland's Jim Sheridan (In the Name of the Father, et al) would be directing Get Rich or Die Tryin', the story of New York rapper 50 Cent. Well, I'm always interested when the Irish put their spin on black culture and vice versa (although I can't say I've come across many examples of the latter). I've explored this topic in previous posts, but examples of the former include the Irish blues of Van Morrison and Rory Gallagher and the Irish-accented hip-hop of House of Pain.

There are bad examples, too. I'm thinking of projects that poke fun at both cultures, like the ludicrous Leprechaun series, specifically Leprechaun 5: In the Hood (with Ice-T and Coolio).

Thanks to the Gloved One, I have a new bad example to add to my list. (Believe me, I will never, ever refer to him as "The King of Pop." First of all, I think it's disrespectful to the true King, and secondly, Off the Wall is the only album of his--not counting the Jackson Five--I can fully embrace...and that was released 27 years ago). So, I post the following without further comment as the concept says it all.

Michael Jackson's latest business plan reportedly revolves around building a leprechaun theme park on the Emerald Isle. "He loves the whole idea of leprechauns and the magic and myths of Ireland," a source tells the Irish Daily Mirror. "He's always wanted to open his own theme park and he thinks Ireland is the perfect place and it will all be built around the leprechaun theme." (The Scoop)

This album cover is how I would like to remember Jackson. I received the Quincy Jones-produced Off the Wall as a birthday present in 1979. (And if "Rock With You" didn't set the template for Justin Timberlake's entire career, I don't know what did.) The LP was a gatefold. Open it up, and you were greeted by a full-length photo of Jackson wearing glowing white spats. What a great gift.



Note: Images from Riverside Life and Wikipedia.

No comments: