Sunday, August 27, 2006

Why I love André 3000...
and the Hives

From an interview with André "3000" Benjamin (Outkast) in the 9/7/06 issue of Rolling Stone.

Austin Scaggs: Was there a show that changed your life?

André Benjamin: I wouldn't say it changed my life, but a while ago I flew to New York just to see the Hives. My flight was late, and I didn't get to see but the last twenty minutes, when they played every song I loved. At one point they were jamming so hard, and then right on cue they all stopped. They held their pose for at least a minute. Nobody moved, sweat was dripping and they were like statues. They didn't have to play shit, and the crowd was going crazy. When they cranked it back up, the show went to a whole different plateau. The crowd went nuts, nuts, nuts! I wouldn't have written "Hey Ya!" if it weren't for the Hives.

Austin Scaggs: Are you with me on this: "Hey Ya!" is the best song of the twenty-first century?

André Benjamin: Jesus. I don't know, man. That could be argued by a lot of people.

Austin Scaggs: Can you think of anything better?

André Benjamin: No.

[On the subject of punk, Benjamin adds, "I went crazy over the Ramones, the Buzzcocks and the New York Dolls. Bad Brains,
to me, is the best punk band in the world."]

Hey Ya

One two three!

My baby don't mess around
Because she loves me so
And this I know for sho'
But does she really want to?
But can't stand to see me
Walk out the door
Don't try to fight the feeling
'Cause the thought alone is killing me right now
Thank God for mom and dad
For sticking two together
'Cause we don't know how

Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... [8X]

You think you've got it
Oh you think you've got it!
But got it just don't get it
'Til there's nothing at
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaallllll
We get together, oh!
We get together
But separate's always better when there's feelings
InvooooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOlved
If what they say is "Nothing is forever"
Then what makes?
Then what makes, then what makes, then what makes, HUH!!!!
Then what makes love the exception?
So why oh? Why oh? Why oh? Why oh?
Are we so in denial?
When we know we're not happy here?
Y'all don't want me here you just wanna dance

Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... [2X]
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Don't want to meet your daddy, oh oh)
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Just want you in my Caddy, oh oh)

Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Oh Oh, don't want to meet your mama, oh oh)
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Just want to make you cumma, oh oh)
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (I'm just being honest! oh oh) [2X]

Alright now fellas! (YEAH!)
What's cooler than being cool?
(ICE COLD!!!!) I can't hear you!
I say what's cooler than being cool??
(ICE COLD!!!!)
Alright, alright, alright [2X]
Alright ladies! (YEAH!!!)
We gon' break this thing down in just a few seconds!
Now don't have me break this thang down for nothing!
Now I wanna see y'all on y'all baddest behavior
Lend me some sugar! I am your neighbor, aaaah! Here we go!!!!
Shake it! Shake, shake it, shake it (Oh oh)
Shake it, shake it, shake, shake it, shake it, shake it (Oh oh)
Shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture, shake it, shake it
Shh- you got to, shake it, shh-shake it, shake it, got to shake it
(Shake it, Suga') Shake it like a Polaroid picture!

Now all Beyonce's and Lucy Lui's
And Baby Dolls get on the floor!
(Get on the floor)
You know what to do! [3X]


Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Oh oh) [3X]
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa... (Uh oh, hey ya)
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Oh oh)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa... (Uh, uh, oh oh)
Heeeyyy Yaaaaaaa... (Oh oh) [twice to fade]



Endnote: Why does it still surprise me when a major hip-hop artist proclaims their affection for an alternative rock group (independent or otherwise)? Why should this seem so strange...and so cool? After all, I rarely blink when alt-rockers praise rappers (mainstream or otherwise). I guess it's because the love continues to flow more one way more than the other. Reminds me of the time my friend Glenn mentioned running into Q-Tip at a U2 concert; what can I say, I was surprised.



Speaking of which, one of the better "Hey Ya" covers is by Seattle's Supersuckers, while the Raconteurs have been covering Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" on tour. Granted, everyone and his brother is covering "Crazy" lately--and I wouldn't call the soulful track "hip-hop"--but every bit counts. Meanwhile, Outkast's Bryan Barber-directed musical, Idlewild, opened nationally on 8/25. Reviews have been mixed--Stephanie Zacharek loved it, Michael Atkinson liked it, Manohla Dargis hated it. (I liked it.) André image from the AMG, Idlewild images from the IMDb, lyrics from Lyrics007.

No comments: