Friday, December 09, 2005

When the Shillelagh Meets the Hood: Part Two

Part Two: I See Irish People 

Lately I've been working on a paper about the influence of Black culture on Irish music (and by extension, film). The following are a list of quotes I hope to integrate into the piece. If you know of any good ones you don't see here, please feel free to contact me directly or leave a comment. Also, if you can recommend any good reading materials, please give a shout. I'm just about to get started on Noel Ignatiev's How the Irish Became White, a recommendation from Eric Weisbard.  

 ***** 

“Before our merciful intervention, the Irish nation were a wretched, indolent, half starved tribe of savages, ages before Julius Caesar landed on this isle, and notwithstanding a gradual improvement upon the naked savagery, they have never approached the standard of [the] civilised world.”--The London Times (1847) 

"No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs."--Title of Johnny Rotten's autobiography (1994)

"No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs."--Title of Lord John Taylor's autobiography (2004) [Taylor is the first Black member of the House of Lords.] 

"The Irish are the Blacks of the UK, and Dubliners are the Blacks of Ireland. So say it once, lads, and say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud." -- The Commitments (1991) [Thanks to Tom Keogh; I think Robert Arkins was the speaker.]  

Andy (Tim Robbins): "Red. Why they call you that?" Red (Morgan Freeman): "Maybe it's because I'm Irish."--The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

''I'm not Irish. I'm from the Brick City--Newark, New Jersey--and don't pinch me on the butt if I'm not wearing green.''--Shaquille O' Neal (2003) 

"It seems there are Irish people everywhere-- or at least people who want to be."--Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby (2004) [No wonder he won the Oscar!] 

"Despite the fact that many people resented the treaty he negotiated [the Anglo-Irish Treaty], the fact that Ireland is now the wealthiest country in the EU is testimony to his perseverance and belief in his cause... And if there's no Guinness in Heaven, then I don't see the point in going." -- Mick Collins on Michael Collins (2005)  

Image: official Dirtbombs site (Mick Collins). The piece I mention here is now on hold. Although I recently added a post about That Petrol Emotion, I haven't had time to write about Thin Lizzy and Sinead O'Connor. As for Lizzy, I think I'll wait until I've done more reading. I'm still looking for an affordable copy of Philomena Lynott's My Boy.

No comments: