Friday, March 02, 2007

Star Fruits Surf Rider

These are the reviews and other assignments I'm working on this month.

Amazon CDs: Dolores O'Riordan - Are You Listening? (first solo release from the Cranberries frontwoman). 

Amazon DVDs: Gomez - Five Men in a Hut: Singles (click here for my review of How We Operate), Dark Circle (Sundance Grand Prize winner about the nuclear industry), Dreamland (low-budget sci-fi), An Unreasonable Man (profile of Ralph "Spoiler" Nader), Hacking Democracy, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman [three-disc set] (it was a pleasure to revisit this subversive serial--Louise Lasser is amazing), and 7th Heaven - The Fourth Season [six-disc set] (click here for my reviews of one and three). 

Amazon Theatricals: Starter for 10 (college comedy with James McAvoy) and First Snow (thriller with Guy Pearce).

Resonance: The Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (louder, but less interesting), Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thun- der (better than expected), Grinderman - self-titled (Nick Cave's new garage group), Noisettes - What's the Time Mr. Wolf, and Other Men - Wake Up Swimming (Pinback side project). Also, Björk - Volta and Cornelius - Sensuous (maybe). Plus, a preview of the Scott Walker doc 30 Century Man, an interview with the director (Stephen Kijak, Cinemania), and DVD reviews of Radio On (expressionistic road movie with music from Bowie, Kraftwerk, etc.), El Aura (see below), and Mutual Appreciation (click here for my Seattle Film Blog review).

Whoo! The marriage, it's beautiful. You gotta hear it! A lot of people think it's weird her working with me, but I think it's how she sings on top of my beats that make it.--Tim "Timbaland" Mosley on working with Björk

Seattle International Film Festival: I'm writing for the program guide, which is always a pleasure (I started doing so in 2002). Since SIFF won't be announcing their slate until May, I can't mention which films I've seen, but I've watched six so far, and look forward to seeing many more within the next month. 

Seattle Sound: Wax Tailor - Hope and Sorrow. Click here for my review of the first Wax Tailor CD.

Seattle Film Blog: El Aura (the final film from Fabián Bielinsky of Nine Queens fame) and No Restraint (documentary about the making of Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9).
   
Note: Images of Cornelius, AKA Keigo Oyamada, from the AMG. There's a good chance I won't actually get to review the CD, but I'm always happy to give Oyamada some virtual ink (I reviewed Point for Tablet). Björk (Drawing Restraint 9) image from the archives.

No comments: