Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Around the Way Girl

James Brown may
have invented funk, but
Sly Stone perfected it.
--Jason Ankeny,
All Music Guide

A few weeks ago, I picked up Sly & the Family Stone's Whole New Thing, which features a hypnotic number called "Trip to Your Heart." Granted, I bought the album mostly for "Underdog," covered so persuasively by the Dirtbombs on Ultraglide in Black, but "Trip" is just as good (if not better). It's also a big part of LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out," i.e. he borrowed the ascending "Ah-ah-ah-ah" from Stone. The goopy "Around the Way Girl," on the other hand, is my least favorite LL song, but seemed like an ideal subject line for this post.

So, here's what I found when I searched Google using my full name: 90, 200 hits for Kathleen C. Fennessy, 23,800 hits for Kathy Fennessy. Though my on-line reviews are continuing to proliferate, my web presence has been shrinking for awhile now.

I find the phenomenon more fascinating than distressing.
Maybe some of the old sites have disappeared, maybe some
of the duplicate entries have been deleted. I have no explanation, really; just a variety of vague theories. Anyway, I do this every other month or so to see where my reviews are ending up...



The Bear
AMG review of The Screaming Trees - Buzz Factory

The Circle:
Amazon reviews of Style Wars and The
Freshest Kids - A History of the B-Boy


Filmbug:
Amazon reviews of La Petite Lili and Solomon & Gaenor

Hot 103:
AMG review of Pussy Galore - Dial 'M' for Motherfucker

Iceberg Radio:
AMG bio of Hammerhead and review of Bar-
bara Manning - One Perfect Green Blanket


Indie-Music.com:
Amazon review of Jewel - Goodbye Alice in Wonderland

[When did Jewel, Atlantic recording artist, become "indie"?]

PoetryConnection.net:
Amazon review of Police Woman - The Complete First Season

Secondspin.com:
Siffblog preview of The NWFF Presents Super Hits, Vol. 10

[Excerpt concerning short film "Foster Island."]

VH1 Shop:
AMG reviews of Lloyd Price - Lawdy Miss Claw-
dy
and Thee Headcoatees - Sisters of Suave

Wikipedia:
Amazon review of Life and Debt



Note: Image from the official Sly & the Family Stone website. Copyright © 2006 SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. All Rights Reserved. LEGACY and the "L Legacy" logo are register-
ed trademarks of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

No comments: